Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dallas Auto Show April 5-9

Originally posted by Redwood
    Okay, McCall has already taunted me with a photo of the Camaro sent to my cell phone from his private Camaro viewing party. McCall, gives us your thoughts on the car when you get back!
    Well, I can do you one better. I just got done downloading about 200 or so pics from the "private" showing. The first couple of pages are of the camaro, then there are a bunch of other cool cars at the show, and finally starting on page 12 I got a bunch of the new Challenger! Yep, surprise! The Challenger is at this show!

First off let me tell you about this showing. This was basically a preview show with only about 500 people total at the whole show. Every booth was manned (along with the hotties!) but there was a full pasta bar, cheese & veggie trays, and of course FREE beer/wine and all the soft drinks you could drink. Also, besides Aston Martin, we were given full access to all the cars so you could get up and close and I bet I got some shots you just won't be able to get. I also got to sit in a new Caymen! This is the only way to do the auto show definitely. Absolutely no crowds, booze, hotties who are all to happy to help you, and no roped off sections besides the concepts. We'll have to figure out to get everyone in next time. We got in about 5:45 and left about 9:30. Did I mention there bascially wasn't any crowd??

Now about the Camaro. I just have to disagree with Brian when he says it can't compete. Now this was just a concept, yet fully driveable, but the Mustang is no comparison. You really need to see the car in person. Go look at it (or the Challenger) and then look at the Mustang and it's not even close. Actually both Ed and I feel the Mustang already looks dated next to them (and Ed has a deposit on a GT500). But I guess to each his own. You go see it and decide for yourself.

And without further adieu, here's the pics:

http://mccall.smugmug.com/gallery/1337088

McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
      Now about the Camaro. I just have to disagree with Brian when he says it can't compete. Now this was just a concept, yet fully driveable, but the Mustang is no comparison. You really need to see the car in person. Go look at it (or the Challenger) and then look at the Mustang and it's not even close. Actually both Ed and I feel the Mustang already looks dated next to them (and Ed has a deposit on a GT500). But I guess to each his own. You go see it and decide for yourself.
      To be fair though, the new Mustang isn't a concept car anymore - and it looked a lot better when it was. Its a real car that you can buy for under 30k that has had all the show-car coolness removed and replaced with the lowest-common-denominator, mass production compromises that every production car gets. Lets see how the Camaro stacks up when (if) they build it and it doesn't have the 22" wheels, incredibly low roofline, and has to sport 5mph bumpers in some form other than the 3' of overhang that the 3rd and 4th gen models used.

My vote is out till the production version is ready...
      Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by C3
        To be fair though, the new Mustang isn't a concept car anymore - and it looked a lot better when it was. Its a real car that you can buy for under 30k that has had all the show-car coolness removed and replaced with the lowest-common-denominator, mass production compromises that every production car gets. Lets see how the Camaro stacks up when (if) they build it and it doesn't have the 22" wheels, incredibly low roofline, and has to sport 5mph bumpers in some form other than the 3' of overhang that the 3rd and 4th gen models used.

My vote is out till the production version is ready...
        Exactly. The Mustang was cool looking too when it had 20+ wheels and GIANT flares on the show car. Still a nice car IMO. Camaro is late to the party. This "concept" car should have been out 3 years ago. I think the craze with the "old is new" isn't big enough for Dodge, Ford, and Chevrolet to all seize the market. I could be wrong, it is just a hunch. 40 years ago these care weren't competing with Japanese tuners, etc. Not as many pieces of pie on the table anymore. I don't think all three will succeed.
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
          I don't think all three will succeed.
          Well it depends on what their target sales numbers are...
          McCall

Comment

True, the Mustang Concept was better looking than the real thing. Some of hte same will happen the Camaro. Ed should be fine with his GT500. Worst case, he sells it in 3 years for a Camaro. I bet they're going to hold their value fairly well. In the mean time, he's hauling @$$.
            -Sean Martin
            2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

The production Mustang is a great looking car, and with 168K sales in the first year, a significant revenue stream for Ford as well as a cheap halo car - rarely do the halo cars make money or sell in such numbers! Outta the park home run. Sure, its frumpier than the prototype, but they always are. The price for a well equipped GT is $25K - damn hard to beat. Build quality is good, only downside is the lackluster 300hp mod motor. It's hard pressed to move this 3500 pound beast very quickly.

I predict the Camaro will have similar fate but with lower overall sales and better acceleration. The production version will look frumpier (but they could improve upon the ugly "beak" on the prototype easily) but it'll come with more power having a 400 hp LS2 (or whatever the plain jane LSX is at the time). Cylinder Deactivaiton and T56 could push highway mph to 30+, but not much more with the brick-like aero, so that might help ease V8 mileage concerns. It's gona weigh 3500-3600+, and cost closer to $30K than the Mustant, so few if any of us will get one (not great for autocrossing). Similar fate for the Challenger. It's a race to get to produciton first... my bet is on DC.

At least some of the younger crowd will buy these retro muscle cars over the sport compact offerings in this price range (R32, Hondas, Sentras, etc), which is ALL GOOD. The muscle car craze is ON FIRE right now and the FWD import scene is ding. Good, good, good!
              Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
              2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
              EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Put the camaro next to the Challenger and the Dodge trounces it's styling.

The Dodge looks like proportions were thought out and the detailing is thoughful and subtle.

The Camaro looks like a Chris Bangle prodigy on acid designed it. No feature looks like it took the whole of the car into account. Everything looks tacked on. And that azz is TERRIBLE. Totally looks like it was an afterthought. And the "beak" is just too much. It's just... Not good.

Good power be d4mned, it won't be able to overcome those looks especially if it has the Challenger to compete with. Chevy dropped the ball.
                Last edited by Oversteer; 04-10-2006, 09:02 AM.
                '05 STi
                Obfuscation usually requires a lot more words than if you simply focus on fundamental principles, so I’m not at all surprised by the loquaciousness of liberals.

Comment

Here are my pictures from the auto show. Comments later.

http://redwood.smugmug.com/gallery/1349343/
                  -Sean Martin
                  2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Considering that M6 sticker price =:-O, an auto show would be my ONLY chance of ever getting behind the wheel of one of those bad boys. So Sean, bad did you mess your drawers?
                    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by beavis
                      Considering that M6 sticker price =:-O, an auto show would be my ONLY chance of ever getting behind the wheel of one of those bad boys. So Sean, bad did you mess your drawers?
                      They wouldn't let us sit in the M6.
                      -Sean Martin
                      2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Working...
                      X