August 26, 2005

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM extends employee discounts for everyone

Good gravy... this is the FORTH extension! They keep running ads trying to lure in buyers with "hurry! offer ends xx.xx.xxxx" but then they squirrel around and extend it.

This insanity must stop! GM must quit the blood letting and just re-price ALL of their hoopty ass cars/trucks with a more realistic "no haggle/no rebate" price and then cut out the "sales trickery" forever. They need radical changes like this to help get their 8 divisions back on track. It works for Saturn, it works for CarMax - give us no haggle prices and lower the stress level for new car purchases!
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
      This insanity must stop! GM must quit the blood letting and just re-price ALL of their hoopty ass cars/trucks with a more realistic "no haggle/no rebate" price and then cut out the "sales trickery" forever.

They are trying (and suceeding) to reduce their huge inventory. Expect to see lower production (especially of larger vehicles) in the near future. Clearing out all the trucks and suburbans before the gas crunch hits too hard and they can't sell them.

Comment

Well, the 2006 model year will be rather short for GM suv's anyway; they will begin to produce the new GMT900s (Tahoe, Yukon) on Jan. 1st and the other configurations will be spaced out over the remainder of the model year. That has more to do with the GMS being offered on those vehicles so soon. Kind of hard to push the old model when the new one is right around the corner . . .
        Jason Newman,
        2005 Mustang GT
        1995 Mustang GT 5.0
        York Pump & Equipment, a DXP Company

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
          GM extends employee discounts for everyone

Good gravy... this is the FORTH extension! They keep running ads trying to lure in buyers with "hurry! offer ends xx.xx.xxxx" but then they squirrel around and extend it.

This insanity must stop! GM must quit the blood letting and just re-price ALL of their hoopty ass cars/trucks with a more realistic "no haggle/no rebate" price and then cut out the "sales trickery" forever. They need radical changes like this to help get their 8 divisions back on track. It works for Saturn, it works for CarMax - give us no haggle prices and lower the stress level for new car purchases!
          Agreed. It needs to stop. They really should learn from this and just go to "no haggle/no rebate" pricing across the board. People like knowing they are getting the "best" deal. It also eliminates the "slimmy" feeling you get when you deal with car salesman/managers when trying to negotiate. Getting their dealers inline and portraying better reputations (Sewell not included) will also help GM get people back in their dealers and if "no haggle/no rebate" pricing does that, it can only be a good thing for them. It takes the negotiations out of the deal and really makes you focus on the actual product being sold. Of course then it's up to GM to make a decent one!
          McCall

Comment

I agree with most of your statements; we have had the same discussions here at work. Unfortunately, the American buying public has been so conditioned towards haggling, I don't think that they would do it. And you would also have to contend with the Friendly Chevrolet's of the world that would take the "one price" and try to discount it another $1000 to make a sale and so on and so forth. The dealers have done some of the damage to themselves, but the cheap buying public has too. Try going to a doctor and negotiating your surgery, etc.
            Jason Newman,
            2005 Mustang GT
            1995 Mustang GT 5.0
            York Pump & Equipment, a DXP Company

Comment

I would like a no haggle price, because I hate the bargain process, but I think I saw a poll or read something about much of the public doesn't actually like that when it comes to cars (probably because they're cheap and are used to it). I don't think it would go over well with enough people. That's too bold a move for GM to try across the board.
              -Sean Martin
              2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by theNewman
                Unfortunately, the American buying public has been so conditioned towards haggling, I don't think that they would do it. And you would also have to contend with the Friendly Chevrolet's of the world that would take the "one price" and try to discount it another $1000 to make a sale and so on and so forth. The dealers have done some of the damage to themselves, but the cheap buying public has too. Try going to a doctor and negotiating your surgery, etc.
                I think times have changed. When you go to a Honda or Toyota dealer, there's not much negocation that goes on. That is especially true of BMW or Mercedes dealerships. You pretty much know the car is "value priced" and getting a few hundred off here or there is all you can expect. GM has dug it's own hole with the thousands off they do now. If GM were to take some control of their dealers (like threaten not to ship them product if they practice certain sales techniques), like other manufactures do, then you would no longer have problem children like Friendly.
                McCall

Comment

Working...
                X