No announcement yet.

BMW Contingency for 2006 includes STU!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW Contingency for 2006 includes STU!

I was happy to see this. Might have to attend more ProSolos. Do you still have to do 3 events to run the Finale?

See attached. BTW, sucks my car is older than 1999. That's a dumb rule since BMWs newer than 1999 do not qualify for STU.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hancheyb; 01-20-2006, 09:19 AM.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Re: BMW Contingency for 2006 includes STU!

Sent a letter to BMW:

Brian,
    Thanks for the question as well as your participation in motorsports with BMW. Unfortunately, we are unable to make any allowances or exceptions to our rules for the 2006 Contingency Program. I would recommend that the best course of action would be to address the issue of class requirements with an SCCA official.
    We appreciate your enthusiasm and wish you luck during the 2006 season!

James Hunt
    Management Associate
    BMW of North America
    201-307-4424

<hr align="center" size="2" width="100%">
    \nSent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006\n10:30 AM
    \nTo: Hunt James, V4-US-B-1
    \nSubject: FW: SCCA Awards program

\n\n
    \n\n*
    \n\nJames,* Please respond to him.*\nYou know the reasoning, right?
    \n\n*
    \n\nK
    \n\n*
    \n\n\n\n<hr size\u003d\"2\" width\u003d\"100%\" align\u003d\"center\">\n\n
    \n\nFrom:\nhancheyb@gmail.com [mailto:hancheyb@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Brian Hanchey
    \nSent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006\n10:29 AM
    \nTo: Bell Karen, V4-US-B-1
    \nSubject: SCCA Awards program
    \n\nKaren,
    \nI had a quick question on the program.* I understand promoting current\nmodels and the payout break for older models.* I\'m running a \'97 M3 in STU\nthis year.* Frankly, if they allowed E46 M3\'s in the class I\'d love to run\none, however the only BMW allowed in that class is an E36 M3.* Since this\nis the only BMW allowed in STU, is there any allowance to bypass the\nmodel/payout break for older models in this case?* Just curious.",1] ); //--></script> Bell Karen, V4-US-B-1
    Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:30 AM
    To: Hunt James, V4-US-B-1
    Subject: FW: SCCA Awards program

James, Please respond to him. You know the reasoning, right?

K

<hr align="center" size="2" width="100%">
    From: hancheyb@gmail.com [mailto:hancheyb@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Brian Hanchey
    Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:29 AM
    To: Bell Karen, V4-US-B-1
    Subject: SCCA Awards program

Karen,
    I had a quick question on the program. I understand promoting current models and the payout break for older models. I'm running a '97 M3 in STU this year. Frankly, if they allowed E46 M3's in the class I'd love to run one, however the only BMW allowed in that class is an E36 M3. Since this is the only BMW allowed in STU, is there any allowance to bypass the model/payout break for older models in this case? Just curious.<script><!-- D(["mb","
    \n
    \nThanks,
    \nBrian

\n\n</div>\n\n\n\n\n\n",0] ); D(["ce"]); //--></script>

Thanks,
    Brian</span></p> </div>
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
      I was happy to see this. Might have to attend more ProSolos. Do you still have to do 3 events to run the Finale?

See attached. BTW, sucks my car is older than 1999. That's a dumb rule since BMWs newer than 1999 do not qualify for STU.
      I believe it is only two events to run inthe Finale.
      '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
      - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

That f'in sucks. Not only is the payout for 2006 lower than in 2005, but for us with "ancient" <'99 models the payout is only half of that. I'm very, very disappointed and am now going to reconsider my plan to run two Pros this year and the Finale. The payout now just isn't inviting enough to risk the expense and vacation time. I'm going to e-mail Karen about this, too.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate *any* payout, but this reduction in pay and the hooptiness of the "old car" partial payment sucks. This affected pre '92 cars last year and presumably years before that. I guess only the two latest model years are considered "optimal" by BMW.

Tommy
        2001 Jeep Wrangler
        2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
        Front LCA Bushing Swap
        E36 Custom Cat Back
        M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
        Diff Swap

Comment

My letter to Karen.....

Hi Karen,

I’m not sure if you’re the person whom I should mention this to, but I just read the 2006 BMW SCCA contingency program rules today. I’m very disappointed to learn that only ‘99+ models are eligible for the full payout this year. It appears all other previous model years (now including the wildly popular E36) are only eligible for half of the payout amount awarded to newer cars. I didn’t understand this last year when it affected pre-E36 models and I don’t understand it now. This year, however, it affects me....significantly.

You see, after learning of BMW’s contingency plan last year for Pro Solo events, I decided to compete nationally with my ’93 325is in the STX class. I’d already planned on competing in Solo II nationally. Normally I would not have considered it as the expense (money & vacation time) are too much, but with BMW’s contingency it would make it a potentially worthwhile investment where I may recoup some of my racing/travel expenses. I saved up lots of vacation time for this racing season and was hoping on BMW contingency payouts to help out financially. While the money is certainly not a “sure thing”, the fact that it was achievable made it worth the investment. Now that I know the payout will be half of what I was expecting, I am seriously reconsidering my plans. While I appreciate the offer from BMW, I’m disappointed to now be in a “lesser” model....in BMW’s eyes.

I sincerely wish this effort to push competitors to buy newer BMWs would be dropped by BMW and that all BMW competitors given the same degree of consideration. It makes those of us with “outdated” models feel a bit ostracized. Or is there some other reason to pay more to the BMW owners of later models?

I realize that you may not be the person in charge of this decision so please don’t take this as a personal attack. Far from it! You’ve been a pleasure to deal with! But, please forward this to any of the “powers that be” as I would like my thoughts known. I realize it will likely not have any effect on BMW North America’s decision regarding this, but as an owner of 3 E36 cars over the years and diehard BMW fan, I want my opinion heard.

Thanks for your time,

Tommy Regan
          ’05 STX 3rd place at Nationals
          ’01 C-Prepared Pro Solo National Champion
          We'll see if I get any response....

T
          2001 Jeep Wrangler
          2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
          Front LCA Bushing Swap
          E36 Custom Cat Back
          Diff Swap

Comment

Nice, but I think I'd have mentioned the hypocrisy of the fact that a 1999 BMW coupe is still an E36 model but _is_ eligible for their higher contingency. Seems silly that they'd allow one car from a product line in but exclude the rest. Also I'd have pointed out that the purchasing of original BMW parts to keep your antiquated () cars competition-worthy is beneficial to both BMW and the dealers' bottom lines...seems the least they could do would be to give equal contingency lovin to those of us who pay for our BMWs one part at a time.
            Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

Yeah, but the same applied to '92 E30 convertibles last year when '92 was the cutoff. I'd suggest that according to the SCCA, that Cody and Brian have each "sold" their silver M3's for an "identical" pair of '99 model M3's.

Tommy
              2001 Jeep Wrangler
              2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
              Front LCA Bushing Swap
              E36 Custom Cat Back
              Diff Swap

Comment

It says "1999 and older" and "2000 and newer" so a '99 M3 still doesn't work. However, SeanT is screwed having a '99 328 even though it is an E46. Their dissin' the '99 E46s!!
                Brian Hanchey
                AST Suspension - USA

Comment

OK, you guys are getting the shaft, no question about that. Subaru has contingency also but you have to pretty much win the whole shebang to get it.

I am personally not going to the Pro's to win money, I am going to have fun and race. I wish you would too.
                  '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                  - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

The difference, Paul, is that I would really need to get some of that money to help out with expenses. If there were no money (at least potentially), I'd only do the Mineral Wells event. If money were a non-issue, I'd go to all of the events, but right now that payout is what will get me to go to the next event. My goal would be to qualify for the Finale. That's even more vacation time and expense to pay for should I go. Knowing I have a chance for some money at least gives me the opportunity to go.

Money's an issue, plain and simple. I'm grateful that some is there from BMW, but with this year's reduction it may simply not be enough to get me to take two days of vacation and several hundred dollars to make each event. I may just do Mineral Wells and that's it for Pros. Houston may be the only Tour for me.

Tommy

EDIT: Added bold text for clarity
                    Last edited by Tommy R; 01-24-2006, 04:04 PM.
                    2001 Jeep Wrangler
                    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                    Front LCA Bushing Swap
                    E36 Custom Cat Back
                    Diff Swap

Comment

Got a response....

Dear Tommy,

Consider your opinion heard! My name is James Hunt and I recently began working for BMW as an M Brand Analyst and report directly to our M Brand Manager for all of North America. As a fellow grass roots racer I understand the significance of a contingency payout. I am running a pre-historic 1990 Acura Integra in the NASA East Coast Honda Challenge Series. All throughout college the contingency payouts helped make my hobby possible, whether it was towards a pair of tires, brake pads or a minute cash bonus. Every little bit helps! I also understand that while the money is not a “sure thing” the possibility to win it is what makes the effort more justifiable and possible.

As far as BMW is concerned the E36 is NOT a “lesser or outdated model” as you deemed it in your email, but rather integral to our Motorsports heritage that we value very dearly. I understand it doesn’t seem this way because we have lowered the amount paid for vehicles older than model year 1999, so let me explain our reasoning.

At BMW we have made every effort to not only endorse all Motorsports, but to support those who choose to use our products in the pursuit of victory. Your point about all BMW competitors receiving equal treatment is well taken. Our effort to promote newer model years for use in Motorsports is by no means meant to ostracize those of you with older models. But, rather an effort to advance our level of competitiveness and to pursue an even more dynamic and advanced vehicle. That is NOT to say older model year vehicles are not competitive, they ARE and will hopefully continue to be.

You guys are what make our Motorsports heritage so wonderful and real, by continuing to use the cars you have grown to love. Without privateer teams and people like you racing BMW’s racing heritage wouldn’t be the same. Coming from the same background of a limited budget and limited vacation days I feel your pain. I hope that this has answered some of your questions and addressed your issues. I also wish you nothing but the best of luck in your racing adventures and congratulations on your success to date in SCCA events!

THANK YOU, for your time and input!

James Hunt

Management Associate

BMW of North America

201-307-4424

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 5:04 PM
                      To: Hunt James, V4-US-B-1
                      Subject: FW: BMW/SCCA Contingency

Another one. Please respond to him
                      Not sure what to think. He's obviously a nice guy and is concerned. But, his argument doesn't really justify the action. I'm still hearing "because we want the new cars to be racing and doing well more than the older ones so this is how we encourage that."

Tommy
                      2001 Jeep Wrangler
                      2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                      Front LCA Bushing Swap
                      E36 Custom Cat Back
                      Diff Swap

Comment

I like how Karen sends it to him. "Another one". haha. Let's send 'em 50 of them.

Yeah, the point is they want to sell cars and they can't sell E36s. They sell E90s and E46 CPO cars and a few E46 M3s left on the lot. As an former boss of mine would say "it is what it is".
                        Brian Hanchey
                        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I read it as "no one is racing the newer cars (specifically the E46 M3) because they are less competitive than the older ones and we want to help turn that tide around by bribing them"
                          McCall

Comment

I like how Karen sends it to him. "Another one". haha. Let's send 'em 50 of them.
                            SeanT, you are up next!
                            McCall

Comment

It says "1999 and older" and "2000 and newer" so a '99 M3 still doesn't work. However, SeanT is screwed having a '99 328 even though it is an E46. Their dissin' the '99 E46s!!
                              3. BMW will provide full payment for model year 1999 and newer cars and partial payment for those cars older than model year 1999.
                              But, the second page lists 2000-. I'm guessing all E46s would be elligible, but more than likely not '99 E36's.

T
                              2001 Jeep Wrangler
                              2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                              Front LCA Bushing Swap
                              E36 Custom Cat Back
                              Diff Swap

Comment

Working...
                              X